[extropy-chat] Real Extropians don't drive SUVs

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Wed Aug 18 18:15:59 UTC 2004

Brian Lee wrote:

>All of the arguments except towing capacity apply equally to a volvo or
>bmw awd wagan as to an SUV.

An AWD wagon will function as well as a 4WD vehicle under ordinary Atlanta
city conditions. However, it lacks the 4L mode of a true 4WD. The Volvo and
BMW also lack the other off-road features of a decent 4x4, such as ground
clearance and underbody plating.

A sizable chunk of my life (and, I believe, of Mike's) has been spent
living or traveling in circumstances where a 4x4 is preferable or necessary.

Also, Consumer Reports does not consider the Volvo or BMW AWD wagons to be
as reliable as the 4Runner.

-- David Lubkin.