[extropy-chat] Real Extropians don't drive SUVs

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 19 13:29:21 UTC 2004

I wasn't saying that it would be as comfortable in a 1990 saab hatchback as
in a 1990 suburban, only that it's possible (I mean it's already got to be
pretty bad to be living in a car right?). (BTW, a 1990 900 can be purchased
for around 2k so they are dirt cheap).

I think that if the underclasses start buying used SUVs because of their
lower price, it will be because of SUV's perception as a "status car". Don't
ask me why it got this way, but people are proud of driving SUVs like they
used to be proud of BMWs or MBs. But the underclasses will be in for a shock
as they discover that SUVs are expensive as well. The only one's that really
hold together are a couple of Japanese models (Pathfinder, Pilot, etc) and
1) those are as statusy as the Explorere/Suburban and 2) they are more
expensive than their domestic counterparts.

BAL