[extropy-chat] SUV's are killing their drivers.

Matus matus at matus1976.com
Thu Aug 19 21:45:35 UTC 2004

> From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org [mailto:extropy-chat-
> bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Brian Lee
> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] SUV's are killing their drivers.
>
> Actually, drivers and passengers of SUVs have more injuries. But that
> doesn't really matter does it? If more SUVs = more people outside of
SUVs
> dying then that's still bad right?
>
> BAL

Of course its bad, but it comes down to a fundamental issue of rights.
I see many parallels to the gun debate, which usually centers around if
everybody is more or less safe when guns are more prevalent.  I don't
care, I care if *I* am more or less safe.  Am I more or less safe if I
carry a gun?  (not trying to start another gun debate, just trying to
make a point) Am I more or less safe in an SUV compared to a Honda
Civic?  Even if on average fewer people are killed if all SUV's were
outlawed, if I, as an individual, who drives properly, doesn't drink,
and wears his seatbelt, is made less safe by such laws then they are
fundamentally wrong.  The right of the minority (those made more safe by
driving SUV's) are not to be abandoned to the ignorance of the majority
(morons who cant drive vehicles with higher CoG's)

Michael Dickey