[extropy-chat] SUV with gunracks and dash mounted personality upload

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Sat Aug 21 04:59:40 UTC 2004

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:41:56 -0500, Stephen J. Van Sickle
<sjvans at ameritech.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-20 at 19:29, Emlyn wrote:
>
> > On related topics, did you see that the Packbot that the US is using
> > in Iraq has a shotgun module? Mad buggers!
>
> Err, why is it mad?  They've been making such things for well over a
> decade, for remote detonating explosives.  Probably isn't a bomb squad
> in the country doesn't have one now, and would come in right handy in
> Iraq.

Sorry, it wasn't meant to be a moral judgement; colloquial. I meant
it's surprising, in a TOTALLY X-TREME!!!! kind of way. And I think the
advent of armed robots (not new but newish, counting armed drone
aircraft, etc) is kinda cool, very sci fi. Experiencing them
secondhand via web reports is vastly preferable to personal
encounters, of course. Would that all our wars were fought between
robots on deserted battlefields. Unfortunately I think they are
currently being used to kill actual real live people, which isn't so
good.

A link for the google-differently-abled:
Robot with attitude: Armed with shotgun, WMD sensor
http://216.26.163.62/2004/ss_military_08_16.html

--
Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *