[extropy-chat] Fahrenheit 911 - objective review?

Samantha Atkins samantha at objectent.com
Sat Aug 21 18:36:22 UTC 2004

On Aug 13, 2004, at 9:59 PM, Brett Paatsch wrote:

> Samantha wrote:
>
>> I plan to vote for the Libertarian candidate, Badnarik. Not
>> because of any overly complicated political calculation
>> though.  Badnarik is simply the only one I have heard
>> speak sensibly (and in large agreement with my own views).
>> Of course I don't expect him to win.
>
> If you expect that either Kerry or Bush will win and consequently
> hold the power of the office for four years why wouldn't you
> vote for whichever of those you dislike the least?

What for?  So I can say that my choice won?   I would rather say that I
voted for the candidate and party that actually stood for what I
believe in.    Frankly I think both Kerry and Bush are a disastrous
choice.   I cannot in good conscience vote for either one of them.

> The reason I ask is that I get that neither Bush or Kerry appeal
> and I get that a lot of people think it won't make much difference
> but I can think of two grounds on which I think it will make a
> practical difference.
>
> 1) International law   (or just plain old rule-of-law period)
>
> Kerry does not yet have conspicuous bad form as the head of
> state of a permanent security council member that invaded a
> foreign country.

Ah, but he says that even knowing what we know now that he would have
invaded Iraq!

> 2) Stem cell research. (When Bush goes so will his screwy council
> on bioethics).

Don't be so sure.  I can easily imagine a bioethics council determining
what government provided medical insurance should and should not cover.
   I can easily imagine government provided healthcare wiping out much
non-government based healthcare choice.

- samantha