[extropy-chat] recap of Perseids: July 23 - August 22; Peak: August 12

Amara Graps amara at amara.com
Mon Aug 23 14:56:21 UTC 2004

Did any of you go out and observe the Perseid meteor shower? I was at
Lake Shasta, California, and was delighted to introduce 'shooting
stars' to a few members of my family who had never seen them before.
With the exception of a couple of nights of haze and smoke from two
large fires in the area, the sky there was  so clear and dark, that
the Milky Way was visible 15 minutes after sunset. My family spent
evenings "sky watching" on our vacation houseboat before bedtime, with
a few  members staying on top and sleeping on the deck, so then, lulled
to  sleep by the brilliant jewels. I relearned my way through the summer
constellations, too, a path which had become a little rusty in the
last two decades.

The US was not in the best viewing position for the narrow Perseid
maximum peak, though, but Europe was:

"About one per minute.."
Perseid Meteor Shower Dazzles Skywatchers
http://www.space.com/spacewatch/perseids_dazzled_040812.html

A nice summary:
http://www.hohmanntransfer.com/mn/0408/20.htm

Detailed Data and Prediction here:
http://www.amsmeteors.org/imo-mirror/news/news.html

Amara

Amara Graps, PhD             email: amara at amara.com
Computational Physics        vita:  ftp://ftp.amara.com/pub/resume.txt
Multiplex Answers            URL:   http://www.amara.com/