[extropy-chat] urban sprawl as defense

Stephen J. Van Sickle sjvans at ameritech.net
Tue Aug 24 15:32:29 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-24 at 01:53, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> I have mentioned a few already.  Beyond that I don't think an honest
> look can fail to supply you with as many examples as you have the
> stomach for.

That's a cop out.  You made the claim, now refuse to back it up.  Just a
few words would do.

I can't find *any* examples of "irrational and oppressive" acts that the
"west is throwing its weight behind".  Does that mean I am being
dishonest, as you imply?

I wouldn't be terribly surprised if there were some, which is why I
wanted examples.  I can find "oppressive" actions, but that is the
nature of both government and war.  Shooting someone is a pretty
oppressive act.  I don't think we are doing away with either government
or war in the near future.

But I really can't find anything at all, rational, irrational,
oppressive, liberating, indifferent, *anything* that the "west throws
its weight behind".  Furthermore, I can't find anything (yet) that I
would consider "irrational" (even the almost inexplicable actions of
Saddam Hussein have their own reasoning, if you dig deep enough).  Just
because you don't agree with a reason does not automatically make it
irrational.

I find this all very distressing, since I think a strong opposition is
essential to civil society.  Yet much of what I see from the opposition
these days amount to personal attacks ("irrational", "honest", "Bush is
dumb") and a refusal to debate the facts and issues.  It is ultimately
self-defeating.  It is not like there aren't a great many sound
arguments against the course of action being taken.