[extropy-chat] Fighting Robots

ben benboc at lineone.net
Tue Aug 24 20:52:13 UTC 2004

*Humanoid* robots (for fighting) sounds daft to me.
Too easy to trip up, surely, and if one leg gets damaged, it can't move
(i doubt a hopping robot soldier would be very menacing).

So, how about this: Insectoid fighting robots.

I'm thinking of something along the lines of the insect soldiers in the
'Starship Troopers' movie, or the 'shadows' in Bablylon 5.

Plenty of redundant legs (six legs are easier to control than two,
anyway, and static stability is a plus in a robot with limited energy),
and then there's the psychological aspect; Well, what would make you run
away screaming, a giant metal man with a big gun, or a bloody great
spiky-legged cockroach/spider/worst nightmare thing, with clacking jaws
and a big gun?

Just building the things would be scary enough, never mind having one
scuttling after you at 50mph.

If you're going to build robot soldiers, you might as well take
advantage of human psychology, and build *terrifying* robot soldiers.

Of course, if they are going up against other robots rather than humans,
the psychology angle doesn't apply, but the other things still do.

ben