[extropy-chat] Fighting Robots

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Tue Aug 24 22:10:39 UTC 2004

--- ben <benboc at lineone.net> wrote:
> *Humanoid* robots (for fighting) sounds daft to me.
> Too easy to trip up, surely, and if one leg gets
> damaged, it can't move
> (i doubt a hopping robot soldier would be very
> menacing).
>
> So, how about this: Insectoid fighting robots.

Two-legged robots have their advantages...although
most of those (like greater agility - which comes as
a direct cost to static stability) might need a lot
of development to win out.  Insectoids might make
sense for early iterations.

> If you're going to build robot soldiers, you might
> as well take
> advantage of human psychology, and build
> *terrifying* robot soldiers.
>
> Of course, if they are going up against other robots
> rather than humans,
> the psychology angle doesn't apply, but the other
> things still do.

Unless they're going up against other robots that are
remotely piloted by humans, who in turn have to look
at their targets.  The impact might be diminished
since they're looking through a camera, but in many
cases, even a moment's hesitation can decide a fight.