[extropy-chat] Not believing in Eris is also a religion

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Wed Dec 1 10:32:44 UTC 2004

Eliezer Yudkowsky wrote:

> I'm always amused by people who insist that atheism is a religion.  Do
> I need a separate form of atheism for each religion I don't believe
> in?  Am I just an atheistic Jew, or also an atheistic Christian, an
> atheistic neo-pagan, and an atheistic Dionysian?  Maybe I should
> become an atheistic druid so I can tell people I don't believe in trees.

I call myself an atheist Asatruar because I believe our Gods are social
dynamic/cultural constructs.
I see no problem with that at all, nor with basing my ethical values
upon their mythology.
Interestingly, my co-religionists see no problem with my POV either,
even the ones that believe our Gods are 'real' (whatever that means for
a God).

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-