[extropy-chat] Atheists launch inquisition...

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Dec 1 18:47:37 UTC 2004

At 06:57 PM 12/1/2004 +0100, Serafino wrote:

>(Not sure that demolishing the Simulation Argument,
>or demolishing simulated realities,
>is the same as demolishing Theisms.)

Of course it's not, but what's more important in this discussion is that
the converse doesn't hold either. Accepting the Simulation Argument, or
indeed *proving* that what we perceive as our universe is some sort of
limited sim built by contingent intelligences external to its bounds,
simply CANNOT increase the possibility that theism (as it is commonly
understood in our culture) is true or even meaningful. It's a different
*sort* of claim. "Simulation = deity" is nothing better than metaphysical
bait and switch. Why don't you address this critique, Mike?

Damien Broderick