[extropy-chat] The emergence of AI

ben benboc at lineone.net
Thu Dec 2 22:18:13 UTC 2004

Here's a thought:

 From The Architecture of Brain and Mind, by Aaron
Sloman.(http://www.cs.bham.ac.uk/research/cogaff/gc/)

"In a world that day-by-day becomes increasingly dependent on technology
to maintain its functional stability, there is a need for machines to
incorporate correspondingly higher and higher levels of cognitive
ability in their interactions with humans and the world. Understanding
the principles of brain organisation and function which subserve human
cognitive abilities, and expressing this in the form of an
information-processing architecture of the brain and mind, will provide
the foundations for a radical new generation of machines which act more
and more like humans. Such machines would become potentially much
simpler to interact with and to use, more powerful and less error-prone,
making them more valuable life-companions, whether for learning,
information finding, physical support or entertainment. They might even
be able to recognize even the best disguised spam email messages as
easily as humans do!"

The implication here is that AI will not suddenly appear on the scene at
some indeterminate future time, but will gradually emerge, as more and
more information-processing systems display more and more intelligence.
AI will probably creep up on us gradually, rather than suddenly bursting
forth from some lab.

This view makes a lot of sense. Consider toys. Not so long ago, most
children's toys were carved from wood. Now we have very sophisticated
robotic toys that are starting to respond to voice commands, and display
a variety of different behaviours. Toys for adults are even more
sophisticated. We have robotic animals, humanoid fighting robots, even
robots that can mow the lawn or vacuum the floor. Nobody calls Aibo or
Roomba full-blown AI, but if you compare them with a wooden rocking
horse or a bristle broom, they are remarkably intelligent. This trend
will only continue. One day, we will realise that our children's toys
are just as bright as a pet dog or cat, and a lot of the information
systems that we use will incorporate elements of the kind of cognitive
processing that we currently regard as uniquely human. By the time
robots and computer systems display what we call general intelligence,
nobody will be surprised, because they will have gradually emerged from
systems that everyone is used to. Things like agent software that seeks
the best prices for aeroplane tickets, PDAs that learn your habits and
preferences, collaborative embedded systems that track the movements of
millions of items and people, and co-ordinate traffic flow systems,
ordering of goods, etc. And toys. All getting smarter and smarter, month
by month.

So it's possible that one day, it will be somebodys teddy bear that will
be the thing waking up and saying to itself "Crikey, I'm Me!!", and not
some purpose-designed massive computer.

What do you reckon. Will AI be the descendant of computer research
programs in academic labs, or will their ancestors be dolls that blink
and wet themselves, and lawnmowers?

ben