[extropy-chat] New article against transhumanism

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Fri Dec 3 01:23:40 UTC 2004

Damien Broderick wrote:

> At 07:27 AM 12/2/2004 +0100, Giu1i0 Pri5c0 asked of the Crazy Years:
>
>> Which Heinlein's book is that?
>

> Many of them. It's a key element in his Future History, charted in the
> 1940s.
>
> Damien Broderick

Most obviously, in "revolt in 2100."

However, as Damien says, it permeates the future history. Heinlien
specifically
states that he did not write a story situated precisely at the time of
rise of the
theocracy because it would be too depressing. Therefore, we have stores
before
the rise, and "Revolt in 2100" at the end of the theocracy, but very
little of the period itself.

Slightly off-topic. If you are a Heinlein fan and you have not yet read
"For us the Living" Go buy it NOW. This is a recently published
manuscript from the
beginning of Heinlein's writing career, and it is critical to
understanding many of the
precedents to the Heinlein universe. It is in the form of a novel, but
Commentary in the book
by Spider Robinson argues forcefully that it is more (and less) than a
novel. It is difficult to
find anything in the entire Heinlein corpus that is not presaged in this
manuscript.