[extropy-chat] The Simulation Argument

Rick aperick at centurytel.net
Sat Dec 4 07:25:50 UTC 2004

Someone correct me if this is wrong, but shouldn't 13.8 billion LE distant
and 180 degrees apart, *for us*, mean that those two galaxies are
practically bumping shoulders? The big bang occurred in four dimensions, not
three. The big bang did not happen centered on our location, nor any other
location we can point to, but it happened in a dimensional direction that is
one more than what we think we exist in. In our set of three dimensions it
would be correct to say that it happened everywhere at a point that was a
very small/hot "everywhere" -- all of our space was created from the big
bang -- SPACE. Not just the stuff in our space.

        John K Clark Wrote:

No, the time constraint only limits the observable universe. The Big Bang
happened 13.8 billion years ago so the observable universe (for us) is a
sphere centered on the Earth with a radius of 13.8 billion light years, we
can look at 2 galaxies 13.8 billion light years away and 180 degrees apart
but neither can see the other because they are not in their observable
universe.

If the most popular version of the theory is correct (the inflation theory)
the Big Bang was just a time when for a very short instant space expanded
at an exponential rate. Perhaps space was finite when all this happened,
perhaps not.