[extropy-chat] The Simulation Argument

John K Clark jonkc at att.net
Sat Dec 4 16:05:44 UTC 2004

"Rick" <aperick at centurytel.net>

> Someone correct me if this is wrong, but shouldn't 13.8 billion LE distant
> and 180 degrees apart, *for us*, mean that those two galaxies are
> practically bumping shoulders?

No, it would mean they are 27.6 light years distant from each other and
forever unobservable from each other.  We being in the middle can see both.

> The big bang did not happen centered on our location, nor any other
> location we can point to

Exactly, it happened to all of space at the same time.

> The big bang occurred in four dimensions

Yes, time is just as important as space.

> it would be correct to say that it happened everywhere at a point that was
> a  very small/hot "everywhere"

That could be right, space before the Big Bang could have been very small,
but it's also possible that even before the Big Bang space was already
infinite and by "Big Bang" we mean a time when everything in space receded
from everything else at an exponential rate. Nobody knows.

  John K Clark      jonkc at att.net