[extropy-chat] The Inevitability of Universal Immortality in a Finite Universe

Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. megao at sasktel.net
Sat Dec 4 22:59:06 UTC 2004

This is a good proposition as it allows for some unknown genetic or
technologically insoluble deadend not to suddenly
lead to a catastrophic die off of genetically similar superlonglived
humanoids.

The divergence of the human species into subspecies designed to survive
other worlds without the need for the protections and comforts we now
require would provide some reserve capacity to retool the species from
if we ever worked ourselves into a genetic corner.

As well the population might be controlled by some novel means such as
offering dying mortal citizens off planet super-longevity if they had
their head frozen and shipped via massdriver/railgun initiated
propulsion to have  a new body grown and consciousness transferred at
the reanimation site on the destination planet.
Longevity on an old developed world might not be as important as
longevity on a world needing massive societal infrastructure
development.  Longevity would mean that it would not be a great
sacrifice to spend 500 years taming a new world as there would be
thousands of years left over to enjoy the results.

As well , new harsher environments might require superlongevity traits
just to survive.

There may be a trade off between reproductive capacity and longevity
modifications.

We are almost envisioning a society like the greek mythologies with a
mixed society of gods and mortals.