[extropy-chat] Transhumanism mentioned in "Skeptic" re: cryonics

Joseph Bloch jbloch at humanenhancement.com
Mon Dec 6 23:44:53 UTC 2004

they have published a few pro-cryonics responses. One, by NASA scientist
and science fiction novelist Gregory Benford, mentions transhumanism in
a perhaps-not-so-flattering way:

"Of course, cryonics is a huge gamble, and I think it is best viewed
that way. The recent piece by Kevin Miller in Skeptic (Vol. 11, No. 1)
follows common practice: interview a cryobiologist, who then cites a
transhumanist (not a cryonicist) about techno-optimism. Miller's
scientist, Kenneth Storey, cites extreme standards (cells must cool "at
least 1000 degrees a minute") without backing up that statement; he then
says "it will never work fororgans," and "they claim they will overturn
the law of physics, chemistry and molecular science," again using the
argument from authority but providing no evidence." (Skeptic Vol. 11,
No. 2, p. 28).

The Transhumanist in question, btw, is George Dworsky of the Toronto
Transhumanist Association, who was quoted in the original article as
saying "I can't sit here today and look you in the eye and tell you we
are going to bring people back. Amupme who is going to tell you that is
either deluding themselves, or they're not being realistic. But I think
there are enough clues now to give us some hope. ... [the thawing
process will need] a radically futuristic technology [that] could
resuscitate or revitalize the person."

Joseph

Enhance your body "beyond well" and your mind "beyond normal":
http://www.humanenhancement.com