[extropy-chat] Transhumanism mentioned in "Skeptic" re: cryonics

Acy James Stapp astapp at fizzfactorgames.com
Tue Dec 7 18:17:07 UTC 2004

I can't imagine that there is any sort of sinister intention behind
this; it's probably some disgruntled grad student working on WordNet at
princeton who put it in just for kicks. I have requested that it be
changed:

	I take issue with your definition of "Extropy":
	(the pseudoscientific prediction that human intelligence
	and technology will enable life to expand in an orderly
	way throughout the entire universe). I would be more than
	pleased if you were to remove the word "pseudoscientific";
	it betrays an unacceptably biased point of view.

But note that their site says
(http://www.cogsci.princeton.edu/~wn/blind_person)

	WordNet is not an authoritative source for
	definitions, nor is that its intent. Many of the
	definitions are somewhat antiquated, having reached
	us via lists of words from other sources.

	Unfortunately, releasing a new version of WordNet,
	as when publishing a printed book, takes a good
	deal of time and money.

	Thus, the corrected definition will not be publicly
	visible until the next release of WordNet, and the
	Google result (via their "definitions" service), which
	is not under our direct control, may take even longer
	to reflect our internal correction.

Acy