[extropy-chat] Viruses as the Driver of Evolution

Kurt Schoedel kurt at metatechnica.com
Wed Dec 8 21:57:11 UTC 2004

The idea that viruses, especially retroviruses, are the driver of
evolution should not supprise anyone. It makes sense and should be
obvious to everyone since the discovery of the HERVs (human endongenous
retroviruses) that exist in the 10,000s in the human genetic code.

I first learned of HERVs when I read Laurie Garrett's book, "The Coming
Plague", about 10 years ago. I saw sitting in a bar in the Roppongi
when the thought occurred to me that infectious agents have got to be
the driving force behind evolution.

There is more. There is another researcher who has written a book about
evolution. Her name is Lynn Caporale and her book is "Darwin in the
Genome", in which she constructs a theory of evolution that is also
based on infectious agents.

Kurt Schoedel
MetaTechnica