[extropy-chat] Re: John Wright Finds God

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Dec 10 20:05:25 UTC 2004

At 09:18 PM 12/9/2004 -0600, John Wright wrote:

>If God is
>real, and those things said of Him are true, He will hear even the prayer
>of an
>atheist, and may well answer. The answer may be terrifying beyond belief,
>as it
>was in may case, and land you in the hospital, but it will be answer.

I am reminded of a passage in my novel TRANSMITTERS (1984); it incorporates
some material by my pal Rory Barnes. Intellectual Ray's young wife Marjory,
in 1983, dismally disputes politics with her conservative Catholic father:

============

Ray returns to Jesus. A gold sphere rests in one oozing hand. The other,
visibly perforated though not yet flyblown, gestures with gloomy confidence
to his heart, which floats a few inches in front of his robe, dripping
blood, torn by a vicious plait of thorns. Dr Barney Clark, first Mormon
with a plastic heart, has finally thrown in the towel and died, Ray
recalls. An age of botched miracles. Ray wonders if the incipient volcano
across from him suffers heart trouble. If so, Marjory is certainly doing
her best to bring on an attack. The Man from Nazareth looks steadily down,
serenely untroubled by his own cardiac condition.
[...]

Ray listens to his wife. At least she's given up farting in bed. It's all a
matter of cycles. Holons.

There is a pattering of rain on the window and Ray turns his head to look
at this unusual sight. All of Melbourne is cracked and parched, walls are
fracturing as the earth slips, drying out; plaster falls in the night. And
now the rains have returned. Locales burned to black ash a couple of
Wednesdays ago have already been flooded by freak squalls further down the
coast. God's providence.
[...]

The pattern in the heavy brown velvet curtains is starting to go where the
silverfish have been at work. Jesus and His Mother and a mixed batch of
saints and Popes gaze on from gilt frames, constant, compassionate, beyond
blasphemy, shielded by glass.

Ray lets his thoughts slip away into contemplation of poor dead Jean-Paul
Sartre's error in asserting an unbridgeable metaphysical gulf between the
Pour-Soi and the En-Soi, Being-for-itself and Being-in-itself, volitional
consciousness and inert matter. It is the assertion of this gap that caused
Sartre to deny Darwinian evolution, a denial as absolute and ludicrous as
any churchman's refusal of Galileo's telescope. But evolution is a reality;
rationally it cannot be denied or ignored that some of the structural
elements of consciousness are the creation of selection pressures in the
brute universe. So human praxis is to some extent canalized by the
pratico-inert aspect of our being, just as the movements of our limbs are
constrained by the metrical laws that constitute gravity and inertia. But
Sartre's intuition of freedom, Ray thinks, that remains largely valid. The
holonistic structure of consciousness generates an enormous optional range
of actualisation.

Yet the Pour-Soi has limits, and those can only be unearthed by positivist,
reductionist science, Sartre's bane. Is the world a clock, after all? Out
of the cradle endlessly ticking.

The only moving thing in the room is the ornate sweep hand. It presses on
with its simple gyrations. There is no blood in the clock's veins to
quicken or falter as the souls of the dead drown in the burning seas of
hell. Ray considers the sweep hand skimming the gothic numerals, crossing
the two key holes (one for the main spring, one for the chimes). The clock
stands solid, a lighthouse in the high tide of anger swirling about it.
Marjory is sunken and withdrawn in her corner of the sofa, eyes signaling
her rage and contempt. Ray's body seems quite dead. None of the sensations
of life ticking over on standby are available to inspection. He wishes he
were dead. He lets his gaze drift upward again to Jesus, the Man sharing
his torn-out wounded heart with the room, a perfect case of the triumph of
the Pour-Soi over the En-Soi.

To his horror, Ray's eyes well with burning tears.

He is taken up and out of the room, into another place. Light pours into
him. Cream, thick and sweet, into the cracked jug.

Why now? Oh shit. Not me. Aw fuck.

He chokes, coughs, stares at the painting, horrified, sick with belief. It
is the flood after the drought, too much, too suddenly, smashing into the
ashes and hurling them in a foaming muck to smear the broken charred stumps
of incinerated trees, the crisp-skinned rotting corpses of animals too slow
to escape the flames and now too dead to care about their drowning.

The old man's rage is love shouting at his deaf, stupid, brilliant daughter.

Ray goes out of the room, stepping on Doris Nourse's arthritic toes as he
stumbles by. Father and daughter look at him in surprise. He rips down his
jeans, strikes the cold rim of the lavatory bowl, no time to lower the
seat, and voids his liquid bowels. It is the love and truth of God pithing
him. He finds himself grinning. He wipes his stinging arse, using sheet
after sheet of floral absorbent paper. The stomach cramps subside. All his
bitter shame. He flushes the lavatory and washes his hands happily, trying
to believe this dreadful, ill-timed ambush.

In the living room, he tells Doris of his attempt to cook one of her
casserole recipes. Oven temperatures and pyrex, carrots and stewing steak.
His own heart is pumping. Marjory leaves her redoubt on the sofa and sits
on the arm of Ray's chair, putting her arm around his neck, her hand coming
to rest against his collarbone, inside his shirt. She is trembling. Ray
disengages himself, gives her hand a squeeze, goes to the kitchen on the
pretext of checking a detail in Robert Carrier. The volcano follows him,
passes him in the hall, heading for the workshop out the back. Ray returns,
wondering what he is going to do with the rest of his life, and sits in an
unoccupied chair, leaving his wife on the arm of the one he has vacated.

Damien Broderick