[extropy-chat] and speaking of anal probes

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Dec 13 03:30:27 UTC 2004

(I've always thought that should be `rectal probes', BTW, but then I've
also always thought that people usually mean `vulva' when they teach their
kids to say`vagina')...

...a nicely rational and infuriated 1994 piece by James Gleick on the
egregious and late Dr. John Mack:

http://www.around.com/abduct.html

[extracts:]

Though he is in all the machinery surrounding his book as true a believer
as can be, still, in the actual text, he engages in a slippery form of
rhetoric--as if somehow he still wanted to hedge his bets. He writes of
"the actual experience (whatever the source of these experience may
ultimately prove to be)." What does John Mack really believe (assuming that
the whole thing isn't just a calculated scam)? Does he have any curiosity
about the technology of this species, on the one hand capable of passing
through walls and beaming people about on rays of light, and on the other
hand, sometimes reduced to flagging down cars? Does he believe that
creatures from another planet are grabbing our fellow humans, pinning them
down, and engaging in weird sex with them? Literally?
    Well, yes--and no. Certainly he writes as though he does, but he also
manages to avoid answering such tacky direct questions. Sometimes he
switches over to writing in terms of "the abduction phenomenon"
(Smartspeak) instead of "abductions" (Markspeak). Mack says, "Our use of
familiar words like 'happening,' 'occurred,' and 'real' will themselves
have to be thought of differently, less literally perhaps"--it's a
sickeningly corrupt style of hiding behind language. His writing is full of
phrases drained of all meaning: "the collapse of space/time"; "the alien
being opened Ed's consciousness." And there is always the ultimate hedge:
"the problem of defining in what reality the abductions occur."
    We know some realities they aren't occurring in. They aren't occurring
in the reality Mack calls "the ontological framework of modern science."
This is the reality where we might be tripped up by things like "accepted
laws of physics and principles of biology." They aren't occurring in "the
Judeo-Christian tradition"--Jews and Christians have become such
stick-in-the-muds compared to (no surprise here) "Eastern religions, such
as Tibetan Buddhism, which have always recognized a vast range of spirit
entities in the cosmos . . ." Things that, after all, could not have really
happened, are constantly happening in "converging time frames" or "another
dimension." The game of let's-find-another-reality turns someone like me
into such a party-pooper, having to fall back on the common-sense idea that
reality is in fact . . . reality.
    But it's not just a game. Mack is a practicing psychiatrist, and he's
toying with real people. There is "Ed," who first got in touch with Mack in
1992 and "recalled" having been abducted, raped (not Mack's word), and
lectured to about "the way humans are conducting themselves here in terms
of international politics, our environment, our violence to each other, our
food, and all that"--all this having supposedly occurred 31 years earlier,
in 1961, though Ed didn't begin to recall it until 1989.
    In a chilling aside, Mack writes that Ed and his wife, "Lynn," have had
"a number of fertility problems, which may or may not be abduction-related,
including three or four spontaneous terminations of Lynn's pregnancies."
It's a reminder: This man is practicing medicine. He is telling patients
that their miscarriages may be due to imaginary aliens. Why do the medical
licensing boards permit this?

[...]
We are not fully rational creatures.
    Our minds are not computers. We see people, we hear voices, we sense
presences that are not really there. If you have never seen the face of
someone you know, in broad daylight, clear as truth, when in reality that
person was a continent away or years dead, then you are unusual.
    Our memories cannot be trusted--not our five-minute-old memories, and
certainly not our decades-old memories. They are weakened, distorted,
rearranged, and sometimes created from wishes or dreams. With or without
hypnosis, we are susceptible to suggestion.