[extropy-chat] John Wright Finds God

john-c-wright at sff.net john-c-wright at sff.net
Mon Dec 13 19:42:59 UTC 2004

Mr. Bloch writes:

>Forgive me for perhaps speaking out of turn, as I've only recently
returned to the Extropy email list, but I must wonder why folks are
coddling this bizzare talk of visits from ghosts, gods, magic nose
goblins, holy spirits, or what-have-you? Mind you, I don't question Mr.
Wright's earnestness or his motives; I simply question his credulity.

Well, I hate to say it, but he has a good point. This thread is actually off
topic for the question of human means to discover human transcendence. My
purpose in writing was merely to thank those who read an enjoyed my book, and
also, perhaps, to convince those who love logic as much as I do, that at least
some Christians may be mistaken, or credulous of things the world finds
incredible, but we neither fanatical, nor unintelligent, nor inarticulate. It is
a question of different axioms, not a defect in the brain, that makes a man
religious.

That purpose served, I suppose I can bow out of any further conversation with no
ill will: there are Christian apologists more able than I to debate our
doctrines, and forums more suited.

As Mr. Broderick said when he opened this thread (though he meant it as a
warning, I as a welcome) "it could happen to you."

JCW