The Problem of Evil (was Re: [extropy-chat] Re: John Wright Finds God)

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 22:10:52 UTC 2004

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:

> --- Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > --- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> > > i.e.. How could evil come to be in a world created
> > by an omnipotent
> > > loving God?
> >
> > Why do birds kick their children out of the nest?
> > Why do devout
> > catholic women who repeatedly miscarry keep trying
> > to have children?
> >
> > Why do transhumanists keep trying to create more
> > extropy when every
> > such act causes more entropy in the world? It is
> > because the net
> > benefits of trying are greater than not trying at
> > all.
>
> Ah, but birds, catholic women, and transhumanits have
> to work within the limits of the world they find
> themselves in.  God is presumed to be the one who
> created, and can edit, those limits.

Firstly, I have severe doubts about any simulation operators capacity
to edit the universe. What we know about quantum computation at present
precludes any hacking in mid process unless the hack is part of the
original program, in which case it isn't a hack.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)