[extropy-chat] Resuscitation: (WAS: freezing frogs & brain freeze helmet &RipVanWinkle Pets)

Kevin Freels cmcmortgage at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 14 17:15:44 UTC 2004

Eugen said: "This works best with small children, which can be reanimated up
to 45 min
(I don't claim this is the longest time). Small children = good
volume/surface ratio, low body fat index, and good shape in general, as well
as excellent regeneration (there might be additional protection mechanisms
at play)."

I think the record resuscitation for such an incident is around 7 hours.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/3895005.stm

Here is a 29 year old woman who went quite some time.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/620609.stm

I think we have been speaking of too many different things on this thread
and I would like to take a thread down it's own path.

What I am interested in is what I understand to be the way the brain dies.
According to my understanding, the brain does not start to die after 4-6
minutes. Instead, it is the pathways and arteries for feeding the brain and
providing it with oxygen that begin to collapse after this period. At this
point, the brain slowly starves to death even if the person's heartbeat and
respiration are re-established. I also understand that cold can slow this
process. It is that extra time for the ambulance to get to me that I am
interested in, not the cryonics aspect of it. If I can avoid it, I would
prefer to simply be resuscitated and not have to go through cryonic
preservation.

Is my understanding about this process incorrect? If so, please let me know.
Otherwise, could such a devcice as the aforementioned helmet help to extend
this time to up to 30 minutes?