[extropy-chat] Re:Resuscitation: and Armchair Cryonicists-hypothermic liferaft

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Dec 15 14:31:38 UTC 2004

On Wed, Dec 15, 2004 at 07:56:05AM -0600, Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc. wrote:

> United States Patent Application 	20040097534
> Kind Code 	A1
> Choi, Byung-Kil ;   et al. 	May 20, 2004

> Composition for the protection and regeneration of nerve cells
> containing berberine derivatives

Apoptosis is one of damage mechanisms, and is indeed initiated by ischaemic
damage. Most of it occurs days after damage, and requires a working
metabolism. There are lots of drugs to block it.

If you need drugs to block ischaemic damage as a cryonics patient there's
something ran terribly wrong. (Blocking brain activity when on life support
after flat EEG lacune due to ischemia is something else, and something
really really necessary).