[extropy-chat] Re: Re: John Wright Finds God

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 16:36:09 UTC 2004

--- john-c-wright at sff.net wrote:

> With no trace of irony, Mme. Yudkowsky writes
> >Samantha, you are an inspiration to rationalists.
>
> The argument that, since there are by definition no supernatural
> events, ergo
> all reports of supernatural events must be false, is circular. Real
> skeptics do not take conclusions as articles of faith.

Similar to the point I've been trying to make with these fundamentalist
atheists. Of course, it doesn't help the argument to be quoting from a
work of fiction.

My own singular experience took place in 1993, at age 25, long after
the age range in which symptoms of schizoid behavior would have
manifested themselves, involved primarily tactile sensation of an
invisible phenomenon that only affected my vision once it had made
contact with my eyes, and exhibited intelligent response to my own
change in response to it. There was no auditory component, though. It
was night time, I was fully awake, and was under the influence of no
artificial substances.

If it was hallucination, it was a damn good one, with absolutely no
evidence or symptoms of any neurological cause. What it was, I still
have no clue about. It was a bit too 'real' to me for me to rationally
dismiss it as hallucination.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)