[extropy-chat] John Wright finds God

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Thu Dec 16 20:33:56 UTC 2004

john-c-wright at sff.net wrote:

>She is correct to upbraid me, for my reply was less sober than so profound a
>topic requires, not to mention what courtesy requires. My apologies, for I meant
>not to sound dismissive. My intent, since I have already been too prolix on a
>topic where, honestly, I have nothing original to say, was to be brief; instead,
>it seems I was short with her.
>
>By supernatural, I mean what is meant in the ordinary sense of the world:
>whatever is not of the natural world. My belief is that the natural world stands
>to the supernatural as the mind to the body. No description of the body and its
>motions, no matter how accurate, is sufficient to describe the meaning which the
>mind puts upon it. As far as biologist is concerned, the determination of a man
>to do a certain act, which he sets in motion his body to do, is supernatural to
>the science of biology: it stands behind it, cannot be explained in terms of it,

So it's the next level up of emergent phenomena

>and informs it with meaning. If a man is hallucinating because he is drunk,
>there is a natural explanation for his visions; if he is seeing visions because
>he is visited by a Spirit, there is no natural explanation.

Yet there is a huge grey area.
I have taken LSD and things I have perceived when my consciousness expanded have been true and valuable insights. I have also perceived 'God' in this manner, although not as you have apparently done.

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-
http://www.theconsensus.org