[extropy-chat] Re: Damien grants psi evidence

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Dec 17 20:51:43 UTC 2004

At 07:06 AM 12/18/2004 +1100, Brett wrote:

>Yet the size of the effects reported (small), and the nature of the
>way in which they were reported, (with apparently good scientific
>method and a seemingly very capable understanding of statistics)
>didn't offer me reason enough to need to push further immediately.

Utts observes that the small but fairly robust effect sizes are slightly
larger than those relating daily doses of aspirin to mitigation of heart
attack risk; this latter finding is regarded as well-established by the
medical profession, and a double-blind test of the aspirin effect was shut
down early because it would have been unethical to deny patients the
benefit of the drug.

Of course it's also obvious that psi effects *must* usually be small, since
we don't see paranormal effects most of time. Experiments are designed to
concentrate or elicit these effects, making them visible to an extent not
found in ordinary daily life.

>I would still
>suspect, as Damien seems to, that most that are in that area are
>cranks and fools.

That's not quite what I said. The many, many `psychic' pests in the
marketplace who prey on the gullible and vulnerable are probably liars and
frauds (although if psi is indeed a human capacity, even they might
sometimes gain some extra prowess via that route). Many of the lab
parapsychologists do hold beliefs I regard as suspect or ludicrous; they
include a greater than average proportion (among scientists) of believers
in religion or spiritualist doctrines, and many are metaphysical dualists.
That makes me more cautious in judging their findings, since they might be
more prone to find `evidence' supporting their beliefs. But contemporary
psi work is very well-designed. Even if `screening' runs are conducted less
rigorously (self-testing and reporting, for example, to locate
`high-scorers', some of whom will have scored well sheerly by chance,
others by trickery), the subsequent tests in the lab are done with extreme
care and many safeguards against fraud or, say, accidental leakage of
target information.

As for statistical competence, it's worth noting that Utts is a professor
of statistics at UC, Davis, with a PhD in Statistics. This is not an
argument from authority, but it does suggest that she's not reaching these
conclusions out of ignorance.

Damien Broderick