[extropy-chat] Re: Damien grants psi evidence

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Dec 17 23:39:00 UTC 2004

At 09:55 AM 12/18/2004 +1100, Brett wrote:

>I agree with Bill's comments on "cold reading" ... The judge
>should be scoring not just matches as the judge sees them but actual
>matches that are objectively the same matches that the viewer makes.
>
>Take the judges subjectivity about what is a match out of the equation

This makes zero sense to me. Here's a rudimentary version of RV (or try
this equally rudimentary version for a few weeks, as suggested previously
on this list: http://moebius.psy.ed.ac.uk/~fiona/GambIntro.html ):

A randomizer machine draws out four possible targets without telling anyone
which they are: a fluffy brown dog playing near a grassy knoll; a gorgeous
photo of the Millau Bridge
(http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_pictures/4095037.stm ), a plate of bacon and
eggs, and a yacht surging on the high seas. One of these becomes the actual
test target; nobody yet knows which. The RVer does his or her stuff,
filling up pages of subjective responses. The judges look at the viewer's
report: several drawings of a witch's hat, of a church steeple, of a man
leaning over a rail vomiting. None of these matches any of the pictures.
The test is obviously a failure.

But wait, here's where the judges come in. They know that the mind
elaborates partial information by `best guesses', which are somewhat
mutable; perception is always a construct; we home in on a piece of trash
that looks like a scurrying cat in twilight.

So the judges muse. Hmm, the puking guy might have eaten the eggs, or might
associate dogs with dog shit. The bridge, from some direction, could look
like a witch's hat. But then both the hat and the steeple structurally
resemble the view of the yacht more than they do the bridge piers, and the
barfer is perhaps an association to a rough sea trip. So the judges rank
the options 1. yacht, 2. bridge, 3. eggs, 4. dog. Their majority vote
selects yacht. They go on their way, and are never heard from again.
Perhaps the RVer is also shown the possible targets, and selects one as
closest to the blurry psi perception. The target is disclosed to the
experimenter who has also been blinded, and to the RVer. (Or sometimes
*only* to the experimenter.)

Gee, it's the yacht. We'll take that to be a hit.

How does fishing come in? What cold reading? Of whom?

Finally: a small effect can always be amplified, in principle, by
redundancy and repetition. This was the approach I tested more than a
decade ago using entries to Lotto. Three quarters of a billion guesses, in
fact, made by millions of punters during a number of consecutive draws.
Scaled `when winning/when not winning' analysis of the ranking of each
option. Too bad, so sad, no blazingly obvious psi effect. A small anomaly
was found even so, but not one I'd predicted, so no cigar. Did this prove
to me that psi doesn't exist? No, but it suggested that using a vast
unscreened population of guessers, even one as madly motivated a Lotto
punters, was not a suitable approach.

Damien Broderick