[extropy-chat] Re: Damien grants psi evidence

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sat Dec 18 04:57:13 UTC 2004

At 03:16 PM 12/18/2004 +1100, Brett wrote:

>As I understand it the judges are only there to increase the sensitivity of
>detection enough to pick up weak effects

The judges are there precisely because of what Hyman noted: that the
percipient sometimes follows his own associations down an idiosyncratic
path, given partial and elusive contact with the target. So too can the
judges, but by having several judges looking from a more distanced
perspective, there's an enhanced chance for structural similarities to lead
them to aspects of the target image subsequently masked in the percipient's
near-hallucinatory ideation. Maybe in the long run this turns out not to be
as effective as just showing the options to the RVer; if so, use that
protocol henceforth. Or use both, adjusting the weights.

But the key point is that *it doesn't matter* from the standpoint of
evaluating the probabilities of the matches that occur. If the RVer and the
judges are all obsessed by football and their mothers, those options will
be called and matched very often; however, since targets of that sort will
only come out of the randomizer infrequently, they will yield amazing hits
every now and then and far more frequent errors the rest of the time. I
can't believe this isn't obvious.

Damien Broderick