[extropy-chat] Post-singularity subject rate of technological change

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Dec 18 07:19:43 UTC 2004

On Dec 17, 2004, at 12:54 PM, Acy James Stapp wrote:

> I had a thought the other day that post-singularity, when our
> intellects are increasing at the rate of technology, won't the
> subjective rate of technological change become linear, even if the
> actual rate of change is exponential or superexponential?
>
> Thoughts?

Probably not.   It is doubtful for instance that human beings will want
to let go of significant evolutionary programming that they have
substantial parts of their identity associated with very quickly.   But
beyond a certain level of augmentation it is very doubtful that those
old programs could be maintained at least not as part of identity.
Some of them are known to significantly get in the way of higher levels
of cognition and seriously warp our perception of reality.   So no, I
don't think our intelligence will improve linearly with the rate of
technological advance in general.   If we did change enough to
incorporate change that quickly I don't believe that what we now think
of as ourselves or as "human" would be more than a small set of
subroutines in the corner of what we would become.

- samantha