[extropy-chat] Bayes, crackpots and psi

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Dec 20 23:46:36 UTC 2004

At 01:26 AM 12/20/2004 -0500, Eliezer wrote:

>I have to ask myself what kind of researcher goes to all the effort of
>getting a Ph.D. in parapsychology without being discouraged.

Perhaps the same kind who goes into AI without being discouraged.  The kind
with ambition to succeed in a task that many deride but which would have
very large payoffs.

As well, many of these researchers seem impelled by barely submerged
spiritual yearnings, especially those who seek evidence of life after death
and who theorize dualistic conceptions of the mind/soul. So it goes. Some
of those who discover astonishing new things about physics are driven by
the urge to find more horrible ways to kill many people; this does not
invalidate their results.

>Give me flying teacups!

This is one of the paradoxes of accumulating knowledge. Alchemists start
out seeking ways to turn base metals to gold, and find the secret of
eternal youth; they end up paving the way for chemistry, whereupon the old
claims and goals are put aside. It's true that there are still
parapsychologists avid for floating speaking trumpets, tipping tables and
ectoplasm, but they are few. This is not surprising, nor is it a scandal.

>Give me lottery numbers!

Give me some working AI code!

>Claim Randi's prize!

Eliezer, I thought you'd read Dennis Rawlins' excoriating essay on the
sTARBABY fiasco? Has this portion slipped your mind? (It's a comment that
echoes very many I've heard elsewhere.):

< As part of this effort Randi asked my advice on the Helmut Schmidt
parapsychology experiment which some CSICOPs had been investigating. I
simply urged that it be approached with all the caution KZA had thrown to
the winds in 1975 and 1976. He assured me how cautious he was in the
testing for his well-publicized [then] $10,000 prize for proof of psychic
abilities (for which he acts as policeman, judge and jury -- and thus never
has supported my idea of neutral judgment of CSICOP tests. "I *always* have
an out," he said. >

Cambridge Physics Nobelist Brian Josephson recently complained about
Randi's use of PR rather than scientific criteria for`failing' a paranormal
claimant. I see his point, but have to admit that Randi was justified,
since both claimants and Randi always agree in advance of the test to
certain canons of success or failure. The claimant achieved her (bizarre)
task to the muted tune of p < 0.02, but did not do as well as she'd said
she would. Still, Josephson's complaint might be worth a glance (he's also
an informed cold fusion fan):

http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/propaganda/

How messy these controversies are! If only they were as clear-cut and
self-evident as uploading and molecular nanotechnology.

Damien Broderick