[extropy-chat] silent night

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Wed Dec 22 21:56:04 UTC 2004

Damien wrote:

> Has everyone died and gone to Xmas?

I'm still out here too. I've been particularly interested in some of the
discussion on Exi chat lately and I am impressed by the quality of some of
the posts particularly in the John Wright finds God and the Damien grants
psi evidence threads.  Its good to see Harvey posting again and Eugen and
I'd like to kick around some ideas in the How soon can we get an Ipod to
read to us thread.

Yet of all the ideas that are circulating in transhumanist circles the one
that is the most interesting to me personally at present is Robin's futures
market idea. If *only* it could be implemented in a real money way, I think
it could be, amongst other perhaps even more important things, the great
enabling and accelerating "idea" for many other ideas that are discussed in
transhuman circles. This is because it would encourage sceptics and
potentially knowledgable naysayers to join the discussion because their
would be a financial return for their time invested if their criticisms on
cryonics, molecular nanotech, particular proposals in ai and life extension
turn out to be valid.  I would immediately start using it to try and get
some of the transhumanist optimists to break down their visionary claims
into claims that could be *tested* against milestones in the short term like
a year or so. When people like Chris Pheonix say Drexlers ideas in
Nanosystems have never been successfully criticised I'd look to
operationalise a bet with him, then that bet would provide the reason for
doing some more research to flesh out my gut reactions and justify the times
spents crafting the words properly to communicate to a wider audience before
deliverin that criticism, or failing to, but failing too, in a useful and
provocative way.  Ditto for papers that purport to show that Cryonics will
work in principle, in thinking of stuff by Ralph Merkle.

I think I am a skeptic and would be a naysayer to most of the main
transhumanist ideas. But I like the sort of people that will explore ideas
like cryonics, ai, radical life extension, molecular nanotech rather than
just dismiss those things out of hand because they seem unlikely. And they
do seem unlikely on first impression to people who have experience in the
development of technology and to people who have life experience where they
have seen how politics and systemic problems can retard the rates of change.

I don't think the optimism apparently felt by many posters to transhumanist
lists is not well based to be honest. People like Jules Verne and Da Vinci
have been imagining what technology could do for a long time. In every age
it seems like people felt that they were on the cusp of something like a
singularity and in every age what slowed the rate of progress was the
mundane, non technological things.

If the main thing stopping Robin's futures market ideas from being
implemented and providing a mechanism for analysts to pit their skills
against each other and to profit from the exchange is wowserish laws, then
what would that say about the state of the world? We'd be living in a world
where the best sort of free speech and the purest forms of the free market
are already effectively denied to individuals who want to interact in ways
that have no harmful bearing on others at all.

It can be hard to develop what seem to be good ideas into real commercial
opportunities. And Robins futures market idea is pretty esoteric. The
applications for it
in science and technology prediction and acceleration are not likely to be
easily understood by legislators.

My gut tells me that once started in a for real money way the idea will take
off in a big way, but I don't completely trust my gut, and if Robin and
others feel the same way and find other things more attractive or urgent to
do with their time then it might not get started at all

Anyway, the reason I haven't been posting is because I've been thinking and
reading mostly links to stuff of Robin's that Adrian provided and wondering
about the best ways to proceed.

Cheers,
Brett Paatsch