[extropy-chat] Noisy future day (was: silent night)

Thu Dec 23 00:41:33 UTC 2004

On Dec 22, 2004, at 6:21 PM, Robin Hanson wrote:

> Well things are looking the best they've looked in the fifteen years
> I've been at this.  The CFTC is considering making them more legal - I
> was just at conference on this.  And a few dozen companies are
> experimenting with internal markets.

Robin, do futures markets only work as a form of betting?  I know that
in most markets, you actually purchase a product or an option to buy a
product at a set price.  If the price goes up or down, you win or lose
as its value changes.  That's the basic function of ownership.  But
aren't futures markets just betting?  You have no property.  You bet on
an outcome and someone else pays in cash if you win.  No ownership or
value changes occur.  Is this the fundamental problem with getting
futures markets legalized?  Or am I missing the point here?  (I have
not specifically researched the legality of futures markets myself.)

If ownership does not occur, then there might be a number of other
methods other than a buyer/seller market to implement such an idea.
Would any system that rewards good predictions and punishes bad
predictions be useful?  If people could make money with good
predictions and lose money with bad predictions, would that be "close
enough" to a futures market?

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP, ISSAP, ISSMP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC