[extropy-chat] Noisy future day (was: silent night)

Robin Hanson rhanson at gmu.edu
Thu Dec 23 02:04:36 UTC 2004

On 12/22/2004, Olga Bourlin wrote:
>From: "Robin Hanson" <rhanson at gmu.edu>
> > For every winner there is a loser.  If I buy IBM and it goes up I win,
> > but only because the person I bought it from lost.
>
>... there could be several players profiting from a stock on the way up
>(in a long position).  Several players can profit, each one selling "too
>soon."  But a profit is a profit (so it does not always follow that the
>person from whom you may have bought IBM necessarily lost).

The correct standard to use is economic profit, not accounting
profit.  Economic profit takes into account opportunity costs.  If the
person who sold it to me had kept it they would have made more, so relative
to what they would have made, they lost by selling it to me.

Assistant Professor of Economics, George Mason University
MSN 1D3, Carow Hall, Fairfax VA 22030-4444
703-993-2326  FAX: 703-993-2323