[extropy-chat] silent night

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Dec 23 09:38:32 UTC 2004

Interesting article.   It brings up a point I have made a few times.
If all goes well the time will come when it is expected that anything a
person experiences is remembered in perfect detail and capable of being
shared in full fidelity with others.   Anything less would be directly
un-extropic as it would be placing limitations on the fidelity and
power of our minds.   From this it may follow  that any assumption of
relative inability to fully remember and communicate in order to lock
in profits is an un-extropic way of conducting business.    If legal
restraints lock in such levels of inability then this is imho a
criminally un-extropic exercise of force.

Intellectual property laws as they now stand do a poor job of actually
rewarding innovation and have many devastatingly nasty side-effects
including potentially outlawing our own future.   We need to do better.

The neurosecurity stuff is interesting.   If my brain is relatively
open to would-be neuro-hackers isn't their brain and intention, much
less action possibly obvious and capable of raising alarm?   This gets
into issues of privacy inside our very heads which is another can of
worms.   I sure as hell would not want some corporate CIO wonk deciding
what patches to put in my brain just because I am doing some work for
their corporation!    I especially would not want them or anyone else
trying to draw rough analogies to guide actions on my head and
capabilities from a much simpler and far less complex and delicate set
of current security scenarios.  The suggested "solutions" here aren't
even terribly workable at rather coarse granularities of software
components.   VPN for the brain is one of the more shudderingly hideous
ideas I've contemplated in a while.

- samantha