[extropy-chat] silent night

Thu Dec 23 17:26:10 UTC 2004

On Dec 22, 2004, at 7:21 PM, Robin Hanson wrote:

> On 12/22/2004, Harvey Newstrom wrote:
> Did you actually go look at the IEM web site and the many papers they
> have there?  If so, you might have found:
> http://www.biz.uiowa.edu/iem/archive/forecasting.pdf

This paper claims that existing evidence only shows the Iowa markets
predicting elections 24 hours before the election.  They claim that no
evidence has been seen or analysis performed on longer-term
predictions.  I find it hard to believe that in the history of that
market, nobody tried to analyze the data.  More likely, I believe that
like me, nobody was able to extract evidence of long-term predicitons.
This seems to support my previous research and discount years of
previous claims made by people for the Iowa market.

Given such an admission, I had (have?) high hopes that this new paper
would give such evidence.  However, it has been in "working draft"
stage for two and a half years, and was never actually completed,
peer-reviewed and finally published.  If tis paper is providing the
proof, why has it never been finished?  If it is accurate that no
previous analysis exists, and this "first" analysis has been left
unfinished after two and a half years, I am left with the idea that no
final analysis showing good results actually exists.  I am skeptical
that such evidence will be presented anytime soon.

A single unpublished, unpeer-reviewed, and seemingly
abandoned/unfinished paper does not carry a lot of weight with me.
Especially when this paper itself confirms that no other evidence
exists besides this paper.

The data presented in this paper shows very small sample sizes and very
large variability with no consistency between elections.  The paper
itself says that there is no way to calculate margin for error, so it
is not clear if the sample size is large enough (which I doubt) or the
variability/randomness is small enough (which I doubt).

For example, the look at presidential elections only shows four
elections.  One was less accurate than polls most of the time.  One
consistently grew less accurate over time as the election approached.
That's two out of the four elections that don't look good to me.

I also disagree with the measurement methodology in some places.  They
take the last market price at the end of the last day of any polling
period, while the polls data are averaged over those days.  Shouldn't
the same measuring method be used for both?  Shouldn't the market data
be averaged over the polling period also?  Otherwise, we aren't just
comparing polls to this market, but comparing earlier days polls with
later market values.  This doesn't seem consistent or fair.

Also, the data only shows whether the market "beats" the polls, but
doesn't show how much.  I think being wildly wrong should weight more
than being a fraction of a percent right, but the calculations aren't
made this way.  They also seem to chose arbitrary dates to look at.
Why not choose evenly spaced dates or look at the continuous graphs?
The graphs don't look as good as the snapshots do.  The market is often
wrong for weeks or months at a time.  It also flip-flops in its
predictions on many of the graphs.  These almost daily errors and
reversals are not reflected in the snapshots data.

I will admit that I did not do math like this in my analysis.  I looked
at their historical graphs online.  They show the markets flip-flopping
back and forth, and long periods of being wrong.  Even if they
statistically turn out to be more right than wrong at the end, it is
wildly inconsistent.  There is no point at which we can look at a
future election and calculate who the winner should be.  The
calculation changes almost daily.  The final time of convergence to the
correct answer ranged from weeks to days and in some graphs never
occurs until the final day.  This seems to make predictability
difficult.  Even if the math works out (which has never been published
in final form or peer-reviewed), it still looks like it will be a
"significant" few percent more accurate, but not enough to make it a
prediction tool.  If it predicted the 2000 election by 49.9 to 50.1
instead 49.8 to 50.2, that doesn't give enough of an edge to predict
presidential elections in advance.

> Did you look at any of the papers mentioning such claims and look up
> their citations?
> For example, re an extropian angle you might have found:
> http://hanson.gmu.edu/moretrue.pdf

Nice paper *about* predictions, but little evidence of historical
success or specific methods.

> You are making this stuff up.  You apparently have no idea what
> investors are doing.  Try:
>
> Barbara Kiviat,
> <http://www.time.com/time/insidebiz/article/0,9171,1101040712
> -660965,00.html>The End Of Management?, Time, Inside Business, A4,
> July 12, 2004. http://hanson.gmu.edu/PAM/press/Time-7-12-04.htm

Let me be clearer.  I am not saying that "nobody" is doing this.  I am
saying that "virtually nobody" is doing this.  A few minor
counter-examples can't change the fact that 99% of investors have never
heard of this stuff.  99% of the markets do not include idea futures.
This is not the mainstream market of today.  The stuff being referenced
here is more of a proof-of-concept demonstration, not real mainstream
markets based on these ideas.

--
Harvey Newstrom <HarveyNewstrom.com>
CISSP, ISSAP, ISSMP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC