Jurisdictions Re: [extropy-chat] Real money betting markets

Brett Paatsch bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au
Fri Dec 24 01:25:44 UTC 2004

Hal Finney wrote:

> There are some jurisdictions where a real-money Idea
> Futures (IF) market would seem to be possible.

Lets just find one where its *definitely* possible. Because if
there isn't any such one then that is a definite showstopper.

By this I mean lets just find one, for a start, where its legal
to set the market up with an internet interface.

I don't mean nickel and dime academic markets like the
IEM where the limit is $500. I mean a real one where there
would be effectively no upper limit to the size of the "bet".

By all means we can add to the list later but at the moment
I'd like to know that at least one place in the world is
definitely doable.

(Robin seems to think the US is one but the cost is $1million).

There is a free speech and free market principle to this.

If there isn't one place on the planet where such a market
could be based and accessed by you and I (or any two
ostensibly free citizens in a free world) to contract between
ourselves voluntarily and in such a way that harms no one
else then the world is already a closed shop.

Brett Paatsch