[extropy-chat] Copycat Copycat

spike spike66 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 24 03:47:51 UTC 2004

Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] Copycat Copycat

>> Keep in mind that when people do things like this,
>> the money isn't actually *destroyed* but rather it
>> merely changes hands.  In this case, that transaction
>> is one I would welcome.

>Precisely. :) And as someone else mentioned (Mike Lorrey?) this
>$50,000 will (much of it, probably)  be put to good use improving the
>technology...MB

We both understate the case.  If cloning becomes a cottage
industry (and why not?  How much bulky equipment would be
needed?) then the practioners might put into place some
critical puzzle pieces that may some day help the medics
take a few stem cells from our flab, clone it to make
arbitrarily many, then use those to generate replacement
organs which will not have all those pesky autoimmune
system and ethical issues attached, for it was never anything
other than our own stem cells.  Future historians may trace
the greatest breakthroughs in medical science to people
wanting to clone their favorite pets.