[extropy-chat] Another Extropian for the Board of the World Transhumanist Association?

Jose Cordeiro jose_cordeiro at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 26 03:36:27 UTC 2004

Dear Extropian friends,

     Greetings to you all from sunny and beautiful Venezuela:-)

     I encourage you to run for the coming WTA Board elections. At least one (if not more:-) of you could (and should:-) take the soon to be vacated 5 seats of the current WTA Board. Please, let me tell you that I will totally support you since I am working for a more "global" and "inclusive" WTA.

     Also, please, remember to sign up now for TransVision 2005 in Venezuela:
www.TransHumanismO.org/tv05

     This will be a wonderful event, with wonderful people in a wonderful country. There will also be many Extropians participating, including Natasha Vita-More, Max More, Anders Sandberg, and hopefully Robert Bradbury, Greg Burch, David McFadzaen, Robin Hanson, etc. You can buy very cheap plane tickets from anywhere in the North America to Venezuela if you plan in advance (less than $500, check travelocity.com for flexible dates:-). Besides the conference, we are also organizing some scuba-diving sessions and other tourist activities after TV05.

     We want to have many Extropians participants in TransVision 2005 and I welcome any questions or doubts directly to me: jose_cordeiro at yahoo.com

     Have a very happy 2005, 2050, 2500, 5200.........

     Transhumanistically yours,

     José Cordeiro (www.cordeiro.org)
     ExI and WTA Director

"Hughes, James J." <james.hughes at trincoll.edu> wrote:
December 24, 2004

Dear WTA member,

1. Pledge Drive Results

Wanted to write a quick note thanking those who responded to our
December pledge drive. The drive netted:

3 new sustainer memberships ($250+)
10 new supporters ($20/$40 each)
3 gifts

Amounting to a total of $1600

For our small, voluntary organization, with no foundation or corporate
support, that means a lot. (Although keep in mind that just one of the
bioconservative organizations, the Center for Genetics and Society, has
an annual budget of $650,000, about 50x ours. Keep your gifts and
memberships coming so we can keep our voice in the debate.)

If you are trying to round out your charitable contributions for the
year, you have another week to donate to the WTA in 2004:

http://www.transhumanism.org/index.php/WTA/donate/

2. Membership

WTA Membership now stands at

2817 Basic Members
138 Supporting Members
6 Sustaining Members
12 Lifetime Members

The top ten countries by membership are:

1309 USA
256 UK
223 Canada
132 Australia
98 Finland
63 Germany
62 India
53 Sweden
47 Netherlands
41 Brazil

3. Welcome WTA Kenya!

We also want to send out a hearty welcome to our newest chapter, the
Transhumanist Association of Kenya. With the upcoming Transhumanism and
Africa conference in Abuja, we hope that this second African
transhumanist group will soon be joined by many more.

4. January Board Elections

We will be holding an election for five seats on our ten-person Board of
Directors in January. Please send me your candidacy statements if you
are interested in running, or email me your questions if you want to
know what the position entails. (For instance, our "Board meetings" are
conducted on our 24/7/365 WTA Board email list - we only plan to hold
one annual face to face Board meeting at the Caracas Transvision
meeting.)

These five Directors will serve terms from January 24 2005 to January
2007.

The due date for candidacy statements is January 9.

We will post the candidacy statements and open the poll on January 10.

Polls will close on January 16 at midnight GMT.

The new Board members will join the Board January 24.

Previous candidacy statements can be reviewed at:

http://www.transhumanism.org/board/Vote2002.htm
http://www.transhumanism.org/board/Vote2003.htm
http://www.transhumanism.org/board/Vote2004.htm

Remember! Only Supporting, Sustaining and Lifetime Members can run for
the Board, or vote in Board elections. You can upgrade your membership
status here:

http://www.transhumanism.org/index.php/WTA/joinnow/

If you are unsure of your membership status, or whether you are in good
standing, please contact me: director at transhumanism.org

5. Happy Holidays, If...

Hope you are having a wonderful holiday, if this is indeed a holiday
season in your country, and if you celebrate a holiday around Winter
Solstice (WTAers do live in every corner of the globe after all, and
have some pretty iconoclastic beliefs...)

Talk to you again in the New Year.

------------------------
James Hughes Ph.D.
Executive Director
World Transhumanist Association
http://transhumanism.org
Institute for Ethics and Emerging Technologies
http://ieet.org
Box 128, Willington CT 06279 USA
(office) 860-297-2376
director at transhumanism.org

La vie est belle!

Yosé (www.cordeiro.org)

Caracas, Venezuela, Americas, TerraNostra, Solar System, Milky Way, Multiverse