[extropy-chat] sri lanka tsunami

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 28 15:14:46 UTC 2004

--- Max M <maxm at mail.tele.dk> wrote:

> Kevin Freels wrote:
>
> >Once again, the "Evil" US is coming to the aid of foreign
> governments. We
> >are just so horrible! Where are the FRENCH?
> >

> What is this about? Do you know for a fact that the french (and the
> EU) isn't helping?
>
> What are you trying to say?

The official response of the French Minister of Foreign Affairs
spokesfrog:

"TIDAL WAVE IN ASIA

I will read the statement I made on December 26, 2004:

“Following the earthquakes that struck several countries in southeast
and south Asia, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, taking into account
the relief needs expressed by local authorities, is airlifting
emergency aid, beginning with Sri Lanka.

“France is taking part in the assessment mission that the EU, whose
efforts it supports, is sending to the area this evening, in liaison
with the coordination put in place on the ground by the UN Office for
the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (humanitarian action delegation) is
sending a plane to Colombo tomorrow, Monday December 27, that will
carry about 100 people: 60 rescue workers from the Interior Ministry,
four rescue workers from the emergency SAMU services, about 20 people
from the NGO “Secouristes Sans Frontières,” crisis-support staff from
the Ministry and eight members of the French Red Cross and “Telecom
without Frontiers.” The same flight will also carry humanitarian
supplies (tarpaulins and tents) and equipment for drinking water.

“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs is studying the possibility of using
this plane to bring back to France any French citizens in need in the
region.

“The needs assessment is being conducted with the other countries in
the region hit by the tidal waves, namely, India, Indonesia, the
Maldives, Malaysia and Thailand.”

The situation on December 27, 2004 is as follows:

1 - The minister, Michel Barnier, is going to the region, first to Sri
Lank then Thailand. He will leave in the late afternoon today on an
plane that will be carrying emergency relief (tents, tarpaulins,
blankets, water purification equipment, etc.), medical personnel and
Foreign Ministry staff who will reinforce our personnel in these two
countries.

2 - Arrangements in France:

The Foreign Ministry’s crisis cell was operational as of 9 a.m. on
Sunday, December 26 and can be accessed by dialing the following
number: 01 45 50 34 60. A free-phone number is also available to the
public: 0 800 174 174. The number of lines has been doubled in order to
handle the many calls. We are in the process of augmenting our staff.

Arrival in France:

The three flights from the affected region will arrive at
Roissy-Charles de Gaulle Airport, terminal 3, where they will be met by
relief services (warm clothes, counselors, medical staff) organized by
the Seine-Saint-Denis prefecture.

Special administrative formalities have been put in place to take
account of the loss of official papers.

3 – Provisional total:

Three French victims have been identified at this point. "

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)