[extropy-chat] sri lanka tsunami

Max M maxm at mail.tele.dk
Tue Dec 28 21:15:18 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote:

>The EU is a larger economy now than the US, yet has pledged only $4
>million up front to the US' $15 million, and a Norwegian UN official
>had the gall to say that the US was stingy and needed to 'raise taxes'
>to be more generous

I think you have misread it. It seems pretty clear from the text that he
means the entire western hemisphere. Not especially the US. Besides, he
is making a statement as a UN official. Not as a Norwegian nor as a
European.

>    But U.N. Undersecretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs Jan
>Egeland suggested that the United States and other Western nations were
>being "stingy" with relief funds, saying there would be more available
>if taxes were raised.

It also seems that you choose to not to read:

"Offers of aid have poured in from around the world in the past two
days, with the European Union's executive arm releasing $4 million in
emergency aid and pledging an additional $27 million."

Clearly stating that $27 million more is on the way.

Besides from that. My surprise was not really about amounts, but about
the unnessecary attack on the French, which I don't understand.

--

hilsen/regards Max M, Denmark

http://www.mxm.dk/
IT's Mad Science