[extropy-chat] Helping Sri Lanka, Request from Arthur C. Clarke - Transhumanist Global Relief

Jose Cordeiro jose_cordeiro at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 31 01:32:39 UTC 2004

Dear friends,

     Those of you who still have not contributed, please do so now. And if you have already contributed, please consider this Transhumanist Global Relief initiative described below by Natasha:-)

     Transhumanistically yours,

     La vie est belle!

     Yosé

Friends, futurists and colleagues,

Arthur C. Clarke has asked that we help with those who have suffered the
enormous devastation in Sri Lanka.  While there are many places we can go
to online to contribute money, what is sorely needed right now are cloths,
medicine and other items which you might be able to provide.

Jose Cordeiro, Director of Extropy Institute, and I have created a
transhumanist global relief, which will be sending packages to Sri
Lanka.  Certainly there are many in the area which could benefit, but I'd
like to start with choosing one spot and focusing on getting aid to these
people.  If you can help, please send me your items (list below) and I will
package them together and send to Sri Lanka.

Please label your packages to:

Extropy Institute
Transhumanist Global Relief - Sri Lanka
10709 Pointe View Drive
Austin, Texas 78738

If you need to call:  512.263.2749

List of items needed:

We need cloths, dry food and first aid items:
http://www.sarvodaya.lk/Inside_Page/urgently%20needed.htm
Anything else you think would be helpful is appreciated.

Excerpt from Arthur C. Clarke's message:

"... This is indeed a disaster of unprecedented magnitude for Sri Lanka,
which lacks the resources and capacity to cope with the aftermath. We are
encouraging concerned friends to contribute to the relief efforts launched
by various national and international organisations. If you wish to join
these efforts, I can recommend two options.

- Contribute to a Sri Lanka disaster relief fund launched by an
internationally operating humanitarian charity, such as Care or Oxfam.

- Alternatively, considering supporting Sarvodaya, the largest development
charity in Sri Lanka, which has a 45-year track record in reaching out and
helping the poorest of the poor. Sarvodaya has mounted a well organised,
countrywide relief effort using their countrywide network of offices ! and
volunteers who work in all parts of the country, well above ethnic and
other divisions. Their website, www.sarvodaya.lk, provides bank account
details for financial donations. They also welcome contributions in kind --
a list of urgently needed items is found at:
http://www.sarvodaya.lk/Inside_Page/urgently%20needed.htm
..."

Arthur Clarke

Thank you for your generous contributions.

Natasha

Natasha Vita-More
http://www.natasha.cc

La vie est belle!

Yosé (www.cordeiro.org)

Caracas, Venezuela, Americas, TerraNostra, Solar System, Milky Way, Multiverse