[extropy-chat] SPACE: where are we?

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 6 17:44:35 UTC 2004

--- Brian Atkins <brian at posthuman.com> wrote:
> I think there isn't enough data coming down daily to support more
> than a daily report at the most. The fastest data links they have are
> something like 128kb/s and only for apparently short bursts up
> to maybe 30 minutes?
>
> So each day they are essentially performing either one movement of
> the
> rover or one set of science gathering, and then dumping some of that
> data back to Earth. In some cases they may not even be able to get
> back all the day's data for a few days if they have done a lot of
> imaging.
>
> Plus they have to be careful now not to overload the number of files
> in their flash mem because of buggy software.
>
> I've been watching the live briefings on satellite (which now
> apparently
> only happen 3 times a week) and it really only takes them about 20
> minutes to run through a description of what they did the previous
> couple of days and show the data/images. Then the reporters usually
> run out of questions after about another 20 minutes. Just not a ton
of
> meat there so far...

Is this because the reporters are too ignorant to know what to ask, or
is there really that little real information amongst all the data that
comes back?

Keep in mind, that all of the 3D data that comes back gets loaded into
the simulator database, so if you've downloaded the rover simulator
app, you can download this data and drive around in your own accurate marscape.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey