[extropy-chat] Puzzle - Short Tale

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 7 07:59:59 UTC 2004

.
> > complete loss for how.  OH NO I've grown stuuuupiiiiid!  {8-[
>
>   Here's a quick (3-minute) algorithm written in Frink (a
> programming language of my own design):...

Ja, the puzzle is that this algorithm is way too
slow to have been done on a 3.2 mhz computer.  It
would have taken months to get thru the 8th powers.

Robert wrote:

>Reviewing recent comments by Alan and Spike -- you folks had
>way too much time on your hands...

So very true.

But aint it grand?  {8^D  I just love having time for
reprehensible intellectual idleness.  {8-]  Its what
I want to do with eternity if I manage to get myself
uploaded: sit and think.  What else can a program do?

As it turns out, I rediscovered the algorithm today
and nailed the rest up thru 14:

numbers that equal the sum of the 9th power of their digits:

146511208,
912985153,
472335975,
534494836

sum of the 10th powers:  4679307774

sum of 11th powers:  32164049650,
32164049651
40028394225,
42678290603,
44708635679,
49388550606,
82693916578
94204591914,

12th:  aint none!

13th:  564240140138

14th:  281164403359967

Clearly I didn't do this brute force method, computers
havent been in existence that long.

{8^D  spike (the cheerful idler)

ps if anyone can think of an application for this
silliness, do suggest and we can apply for a
software patent together, assuming you do not
consider it a sin to patent an algorithm.  This
one is clever if I say so myself.  {8-]  s