[extropy-chat] Segways banned in Disney World

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 8 18:26:13 UTC 2004

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:
> --- Brian Alexander Lee <brian_a_lee at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
> > The segway can be seen as a body modification so
> > it's user becomes sort of a
> > cyborg (especially in the case of otherwise disabled
> > persons).
>
> Not really.  It's a lot closer to the common concept
> of "vehicle" than "body modification".  (Of course,
> one could argue that most vehicles could be seen as
> extensions of the body.  But this ignores the reason
> we distinguish vehicles from their drivers/pilots in
> the first place.)

The essential problem with San Francisco (but not Disney, it being
private property) is that it is a well settled matter of common law
that citizens have the 9th amendment right to travel upon the public
roads in their personal conveyances. Banning a vehicle is
unconstitutional, as is requiring people surrender a right in order to
gain a privilege (i.e. giving up this right to travel in exchange for a
drivers license). Licenses can only be demanded of those who are paid
to engage in the transport of passengers or cargo in commerce.

> > I guess this is an example of the public not coping
> > with transhumanist
> > themes very well.
>
> Not really.  Segways were given a chance, and proved
> that they can easily become unsafe under common
> conditions (specifically, when the battery runs low or
> when driven by an uncautious person).

WHich is a bogus application of the Precautionary Principle. Common
bicycles can cause fatalities if you go fast enough with them,
especially coming down the steep hills of San Francisco. So what?

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey