[extropy-chat] pigeons

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sun Feb 8 21:30:09 UTC 2004

> scerir at libero.it
> Subject: RE: [extropy-chat] pigeons
>

> Spike:
> > When I read this I had to just stop and laugh my
> > fanny off.
>
> A friend wrote this, to another list, about the same topic...
> :-)

I don't see why we didn't think of this before.  That
is how I used to navigate when I was flying: look at
the roads.  You already know what they look like, and
they are most likely going the same place you are, the
winds don't matter, and if you get in trouble you can
always go down and land on one of em.  The interstate
freeways are specifically designed to allow troubled
planes to land on them in emergencies.  Fortunate thing
the landing speed for a small plane is right about
the speed of traffic on a freeway: they *will* see
you coming down.

Pigeons were bred for homing well after roads already
existed in England, so it all makes perfect sense to me.