[extropy-chat] Segways banned in Disney World

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 9 15:48:09 UTC 2004

The segway was being used by people who were unable to operate a bike or
walk properly. Disney wouldn't allow them in because it's not an
FDA-approved medical device. You tell the guy with MS that he's acting like
a jerk on his segway.

The disney parks have staff members who use a segway, so it's not a
logistical problem of lack of bike lanes.

Also, disney aready rents out scooters (for $40+ a day) to people too lazy
to walk (or disabled) and there have been few incidents of "scooter rage".

The fact that you fail to see a need should not restrict others. Need and
want are different things at times and if someone wants to pay $5k so they
don't have to walk, let them. If they act like asses then they can be banned
from the park (just as walkers who act like asses are).

BAL