[extropy-chat] Segways banned in Disney World

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 9 20:02:22 UTC 2004

--- Alan Eliasen <eliasen at mindspring.com> wrote:

> >>Completely different failure mode.
> >
> > Yeah, sure, on a busy highway. What again is the kinetic energy of
> > 2000 lb car at that velocity? Thats 21 million lb ft^2/sec^2
>
>    Actually, it's 15.5 million lb ft^2/sec^2.  In Frink notation, (
> http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/ )
>
>    1/2 2000 lb (85 mph)^2 -> million lb ft^2/s^2
> gives
>    15.54

Ayup. I forgot the 1/2.

My point still holds. How dangerous is 15.54 million lb ft^2/sec^2 of
energy, vs 16,000? 16k is just a good shove. 15 million is fatal. Time
to start banning those cars. If Segway isn't good enough for the
streets of San Fran, then cars are a crime against humanity.

Or, we can just toss out the Precautionary Principle.

=====
Mike Lorrey
                                       - Gen. John Stark
                                       - Mike Lorrey