[extropy-chat] Frink

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Mon Feb 9 21:48:02 UTC 2004

Mike Lorrey wrote:
> Do you have a non-wireless version for Palm 3.5?

   (Referring to Frink, http://futureboy.homeip.net/frinkdocs/ )

   No, but I sure wish I did.  The problem is finding a Java Virtual Machine.
 There may be some companies that sell a for-pay JVM that will run on Palm
3.5, but I haven't found one that looks like it would work.  In theory, if the
device can run Java 1.1 (Frink runs fine even on the cut-down PersonalJava
1.1,) then it can run Frink.  But Palm only looks like they'll be supporting a
reasonable JVM on Palm OS 5, and that only later this year (they do have a
version you can download now for that OS, but it doesn't even support
floating-point, which I still use in a few places (most math is actually
arbitrary-precision in Frink.))  Even so, it looks like it'll be severely
memory-limited.

   I'll let you know if this changes, but it's becoming less and less likely
that any companies are going to make a workable JVM for that platform (which
is what I use too.)

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself